How to Associate Recurring Deals To Their Original Deals in HubSpot
Happy Halloween! It’s that time of the year where we appreciate the spookier things in life. Like jack-o-lanterns and haunted mansions.
But you know what’s spooky in a not fun way? The inability to associate objects of the same type within HubSpot (Brilliant segue I know). Fortunately, HubSpot’s recent beta has enabled this long requested feature!
Associ8 users may be wondering if the app will update to take same-object type associations into account. Well stop wondering. Because the update is already live (currently on the HubSpot beta)!
And not a moment too soon. I had a recent use case cross my desk where a user needed to associate recurring deal records to the original deal records. Here’s how I solved his inquiry.
Associating recurring deals to the original deal in HubSpot
In order for this solution to work, we’ll need some kind of ID number. I created a custom property called Order Number that used a Single Line Text field. We can use the order number on the new deal to associate it with the order number on the original deal.
With that done, I set up a workflow to automate the association. Here’s how to set it up:
1. Start by making a Deal based workflow.
2. Set the enrollment trigger to Has completed: Object created and Order Number is known. This will enroll any deal upon its creation. NOTE: make sure you have the order number property filled out during the deal creation process or it won’t enroll.
3. Now onto the fun part! Let’s set up Associ8 to make the association for us. Click the + button beneath the workflow trigger and select the Associ8 - Deal action.
4. Under Associated Object Type select Deal.
5. Under Associated Object Property select Order Number.
6. Under Search Value, use the Deal token button to select Order Number again.
7. Click Save and you’re all done!
So what’s going on here? It certainly feels like we entered a lot of info twice doesn’t it? What we did here was tell Associ8 to associate whatever deal comes through this workflow to any other deal that has the same Order Number. For more info on how the app makes associations, check out this blog post.
One very important note I want to make is this:
This workflow will associate the enrolled deal to ALL deals that have the same order number.
This may be what you want, but keep in mind it will count towards your association limit for the month. The more recurring deals that get created, the more associations will end up being made.
That’s all there is to it! If you enjoyed this blog post, why not share it with your friends? And if you want to see what else the app can do, check out this blog post on How The Associ8 Summary Works!